The Meaning of True Service


Since the last group of girls left our camp about 3 weeks ago, life here has really changed.
I know now just how much my association with the young women meant to me. In a place like this, where they can get away from the worldly portion of their life and spend 4 days in concentrating on the Young Women's Values which our church so strongly teaches them, they really do change. (Click on post title above to see Values.)
After a recent, and my last, service project with the girls, I was at their campsite processing the experience. I asked how they felt and heard all the usual answers of "tired", "sore", "thirsty", and etc. I then asked, pointing to my heart, how they felt in here. Without a miss they said "good". Why? They said, because when we do service for others we serve the Lord. What a great feeling that gave me.
Then I asked to return for a moment to the "tired", "sore", and etc., and I was moved to ask them if maybe the Savior of the world was tired, sore, thirsty, etc. as he performed the ultimate act of service for us in the garden, on the cross, and the resurrection, by giving His life for us. It was one of the those moments when the eyes flowed with tears of appreciation for Him, and for what he did for us all.
This summer has been a great experience.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're blogging about your good experiences there. Almost makes me want to go on another mission.

    Janeil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you noticed, unbeknown to each other, we picked the same blogging background! Which is A-OK with me, hope it is with you too! Love your slide show. Humm. I should post on our trip and add the CD you made with it! I don't think I ever told you that Grant and fam sat down with me one evening and enjoyed watching it.

    ReplyDelete